Tuesday, November 23, 2010

2011 Inspiration for Sydney Etsy Team Part 1

Today I am going to start the ball rolling on inspiration for next year! While I admit that this is my own inspiration for the Penelope Red Autumn 2011 Collection, I hope to include other Sydney Etsy Team member's inspirations in the following weeks.


There is nothing like seeing the real copy of a famous artwork in real life! I was lucky to visit the Belvedere Museum in Vienna, where they have the largest collection of Gustav Klimt paintings, and I truly fell in love with these amazing and inspiring artworks. My journey to Europe was starting to make me realise I had a thing for "Over The Top!"


Ever since I was in high school, I have been intrigued by the mythical and cultural aspects of Ancient History; Egypt in particular. I love their Hieroglyphics (and I still wish I could read them), I love the ancient stories, and the mystery of this foreign and ancient culture.


I will fuse the idea of Egyptian costume, with the beautiful paintings of Gustav Klimt!

Ancient Egypt has a certain mystery and regal beauty about it, and to me the two influences suit each other well.

I plan to use the colours of gold, brown, olive green, yellow, silver, purple, blue and contrast these with white, cream and black. I will include lots of beautiful textures and prints, draping, pleating, metallic trims, and the list goes on!




And of course, as I was researching Egyptian costume, I couldn't go past the costumes and styling used in Elizabeth Taylor's, "Cleopatra". They are not exactly historically accurate, but I think they are a perfect of example of how a modern interpretation of costume can be achieved.



I am really looking forward to starting this collection! I have been collecting fabrics and trims for a while now, and they are just dying to be used! It will be a fun and challenging exercise, and I can't wait to see how the designs translate in the photo shoot too!

written by Penelope Red.

No comments:

Post a Comment